Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fleet Foxes frolic freely!

In case you didn't already know, Fleet Foxes has a new album out that is worth checking out. It is called 'Helplessness Blues'. I find myself relating to this album a lot and it is comforting knowing that I'm not the only one feeling completely lost in life. Rather than bore you with my woes, I'll leave you with some lyrics and urge you to go purchase the songs. They are worth it!

Montezuma

So now I am older,
Than my mother and father,
When they had their daughter,
Now what does that say about me.
Oh how could I dream of,
Such a selfless and true love,
Could I wash my hands of?
Just lookin out for me

Oh man what I used to be
Oh man oh my oh me (x2)

In dirth or in excess
Both the slave and the empress,
Will return to the dirt I guess,
Naked as when they came.
I wonder if I'll see,
Any faces above me,
Or just cracks in the ceiling,
Nobody else to blame.

Oh man what I used to be,
Oh man oh my oh me (x2)

Gold teeth and gold jewelry
Every piece of your dowry
Throw them into the tomb with me
Bury them with my name.
Unless I have someday,
Ran my wandering
In my underway

Oh man what I used to be
Montezuma to tripoli
Oh man oh my oh me



Helplessness Blues


I was raised up believin'
I was somehow unique
like a snowflake, distinct among snowflakes
unique in each way you can see

And now after some thinkin'
I'd say I'd rather be
a functioning cog in some great machinery
serving something beyond me.

But I don't I don't know what that will be.
I'll get back to you someday
Soon you will see.

What's my name, what's my station
oh, just tell me what i should do
I don't need to be kind to the armies of night
that would do such injustice to you.
Or, bow down and be grateful
and say " sure, take all that you see"
to the men who move only in depleted halls
and determine my future for me.

And I don't I don't know who to believe
I'll get back to you someday
Soon you will see.

If I know only one thing
is that everything I see
of the world outside is full of such wonder
that often, I barely can speak


Yeah, I'm tongue-tied and dizzy
and i can't keep it to myself
what good is it to sing helplessness blues?
Why should I wait for anyone else

And I know, I know you keep me on the shelf
I'll come back to you someday,
soon, myself

If I had an orchard,
I'd work til I'm raw.
If I had an orchard,
I'd work til I'm sore.
And you would wait table til you ran the store

oh oh ohh

If I had an orchard, I'd work til I'm sore

No comments: