Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pets Vs. Children

I posted this article on my facebook yesterday and made the statement that if they (meaning policy-makers and those with the ability to help) could sit by and watch puppies burn, would they do the same thing for children? Apparently I touched a nerve with those who have firefighter friends and family. The fact that I equated children with dogs did not sit well. I had no intention of discrediting the work firemen do, I am very grateful for them. Still, I just can't imagine sitting back and watching a home burn because of being scared of losing my job. Not only that, but watching a home burn with living beings inside.

How can we be so arrogant to devalue the life of someone's pet? Now, if it had been someone's baby inside, do you think those firemen would have violated their policy? Probably. But a dog, well we can let that burn alive because a dog has no social value.

I view my pets as my children. It kills me to think that in a situation like this, someone would let my child burn to death because of a $75 fee. I know this is on the verge of PETA views, "animals are people too," but no this is not the case. People are animals.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I read that story before you posted it and was horrified. I took no offense in what you said, but I'm a nutty pet owner, too! If any of my pets burned alive I would be devastated.

salsa / aka nicole said...

Aren't most hospitals required to treat you regardless of your ability to pay for services? Are the police not required to protect you because you fail to pay a fee? Ridiculous. And so sad for the puppies.